Colon Cancer Treatment at world class cancer hospitals in India
How is Colon Cancer detected?
Colonoscopy : An endoscope is inserted into the rectum and advanced through the colon, through this the doctor can examine the entire colon.
Diagnosis is confirmed with a colon biopsyColon function tests.
Stage of disease is confirmed by pathologists and imaging tests, such as computerized tomography (CT or CAT) scans.
Endoscopic ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) may also be used to stage rectal cancer.
Sigmoidoscopy: In this an endoscope is interested in the rectum and moved through the left side of the colon. It cannot be used to view the middle and right sides of the colon.
Fecal occult blood test (FOBT) along with Complete blood count (CBC) to check for anemia and CT , MRI or PET scans of the abdomen, pelvic area.
Treatment Options available for Colon Cancer at Top Cancer Hospitals in India
Medical Oncology : diagnoses the treatment of all hematological malignancies( liquid tumor) as well as treating a spectrum of solid tumors with chemotherapy.
Radiation Therapy : Radiation Oncology involves treating cancer using radiation in the form of high energy rays or particles . Radiation therapy is an effective way to treat many cancers either as the sole treatment or in combination with surgery or chemotherapy.
Brachytherapy : This involves precise placement of radiation sources directly at the source of the cancerous tumor , and it affects only the localized area around the radiation source.. This is mainly used for cancers of the prostate ,breast, head and neck,uterus, thyroid ,cervix in combination of external radiation therapy.
Advantages of Minimal Invasive Laparoscopic Colon Cancer Surgery
- Minimal Invasive Laparoscopic Colon Cancer Surgery
- Image guided Radiotherapy (IGRT)
- Intensity Modulated Radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Volumetric Modulated ARC Therapy (VMAT)
- Stereotactic Radio Surgery.
- Upper GI
- CT Scan
Diagnosis of Lymphomas
- Minimally invasive.
- Less surgical trauma.
- Quicker resumption of diet and faster return to solid food.
- Reduced post operative pain faster recovery and return to daily activities.
- Less postoperative pain killer requirement.
- shorter hospitalization.
- Improved cosmetic results.
How is Minimal Invasive Laparoscopic Colon Cancer Surgery performed?
- The surgeon enters the abdomen by placing a canula (a narrow tube like instrument) into the abdomen (belly) through a small incision (1/2 — 1/4 inch)
- Carbon Dioxide gas is pumped into the abdomen through the port (cannula) to puff-up or inflate the belly, making working room for the surgeon.
- A laparoscope (a tiny telescope connected to a video camera) is placed through the canula, and allows the surgeon to see a magnified lighted view of the internal organs on a TV monitor.
- 2 < to 4 other canulas are inserted to allow use of special instruments to work inside the abdominal cavity (belly).
- If a portion of the colon is removed, one of the small canula incisions is slightly enlarged to permit removal of the tissue.
Other Modalities for Colon Cancer treatments available at our Top Cancer Hospitals in India
- Colectomy – It is done to remove cancerous cells.
- Chemotherapy – It is done to kill cancer cells …Read More.
- Radiation therapy – It is done to destroy cancerous tissue